A Brief History of Privatisation
Six electronic massage chairs are arranged in a circle, facing inwards, as though set for the meeting of a high council. Each chair represents a key ‘public’ service or industry: Health, Railways, Gas, Electricity, Telecoms and Post.
Illuminating the scene is a neon-style display, methodically scrolling through the dates of the last century (from 1900 - 2011), over the course of quarter of an hour. The colour of the neon changes depending on which political party is in power in the UK at that time, flooding the room with a different coloured light and with that, a very different atmosphere...
During this half-hour period, the massage chairs ‘switch on’ at the dates in which their corresponding service or industry was taken into public ownership and ‘switch off’ again at the date when / if they were privatised. Visitors to the exhibition are free to relax on the chairs at any point.
A Brief History of Privatisation was created and first installed as part of Ellie Harrison’s solo exhibition at Watermans, London from 12th March - 2nd May 2011, where it was shown alongside two installations developed in 2009 in response to the global financial crises - Vending Machine and Toytown. You can find further information about the installation in the Exhibition Guide which you can download by clicking on the link to the right under ‘Further Reference’.
- Images of exhibition
- Josie Long ‘tour’ of exhibition in Newcastle
- Josie Long ‘tour’ of exhibition in Edinburgh
- Video of A Brief History of Privatisation on Vimeo
- Images of exhibition at Inspace on Facebook
- Images of exhibition at Watermans on Facebook
- Download Exhibition Guide
- Dark Days
- After the Revolution, Who Will Clean Up the Mess?
- The Global Race
- Transition Community of One
- Attempt at an Inventory...
- Anti-Capitalist Aerobics
- The Other Forecast
- The Redistribution of Wealth
- The End Product
- Austerity & Anarchy
- Fair Game
- Early Warning Signs
- A Brief History of Privatisation
- Fireworks Display
- Press Release
- General Election Drinking Game
- Vending Machine
- The History of Financial Crises
- Know Your Thinkers & Theorists
- Angel Row Jukebox
- Self-Destruction (Building Site Ballot)
- I’ve Been Watching You
- Daily Data Display Room
- Daily Data Display Wall
- Sneezes 2003
- The Monthly Sculptures Determined by the Daily Quantification Records
- Gold Card Adventures
- Statistics Are Hot Air
- TicTac Typing & Peanut Typing
- Mass = Energy = Time
- Potential Generator
- Kinetic Cake vs Kinetic Carrot